Property Tax Billing and Collection is a stressful time of year for most municipalities. This type of revenue accounts for as much as 80% of a municipalities revenue in some regions. Here are some quick tips to stay organized during tax season.
- When receiving data from the Assessor’s office be sure to receive a report of the totals generated at the same time as the file so they are in sync.
- As the Assessor if the tax roll file layout has changed from last year. This can save you days worth of data import work.
- With GovCollect, make sure the import pva report matches and you initial it so our team can move forward.
- Create your annual rate codes and test them ahead of time. Be sure to update the general ledger numbers if you change them from year to year.
- If you print your own bills make sure you order paper stock plus 10% for any reprints that may occur.
- Save lots of postage by using GovCollect’s mortgage export function. This will create a file of all the properties paid by a mortgage company that you can email to mortgage companies. This saves you from printing and mailing those bills.
- Make sure your due and past due dates are not on a weekend.
- Consider multiple payment options to increase collections like GovCollect’s partnership with Municipay for credit cards and echecks with no fee to the municipality.
- Stay on top of assessment changes and bill them out promptly.
- Use GovCollect’s billing wizard so you can reprint any bill or give citizens access from the web.
For more tips visit support.govcollect.com.